Friday, September 24, 2010

Fly Away, Little Butterflies!

Well, we did it. We released the butterflies! I can't believe Zach went through with it. He had been saying he'd do it, then when the time came, he'd say, "Just one more day" or "Just three more days." I have to admit, I'd grown a little attached to the butterflies too, and I didn't want to release them into the big, bad world.

Here's pic of the butterflies in their garden before we released them. In addition to sugar water sprinkled on flowers, the butterflies also like oranges to eat.

Saying goodbye to the butterflies before heading outside.


One butterfly flew away as soon as Zach opened the garden, but he had to get the other four out. Of those, three flew away on their own. We put one butterfly in a bush in the backyard, and he was still there after several minutes. I hope this little guy makes it!



According to the manual, the butterflies remain in the vicinity of their release for several days, so we hope to see them hanging around.
Thanks again, Aunt Kay, Uncle Bo, and Baby B for such a fun gift. The whole family enjoyed it!

No comments: