Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Back to Preschool

Last week it was time for Evan to go back to preschool. When we first moved here, Evan did not like preschool one bit. He was unhappy [and by unhappy, I mean wailing, clinging to me, teacher had to hold onto him so I could leave] every time I dropped him off for two or three weeks. I felt like mother-of-the-year leaving him in a crying heap and just walking away. But the longer I stayed, the worse it got.

Preschool was just 2.5 hours, twice a week, but you'd have thought I was dropping him off at a hard labor camp for months on end or something. By the time I came to pick him up, he was smiling and said he had fun. But the next school day, we'd go through the drama all over again. Then, all of a sudden, he decided that he loved preschool, couldn't wait to get there, and would get upset that he couldn't go every day. Just like that, no in-between, hated it one day, loved it the next, and was fine from then on.

Given our rocky start last spring, I was a little anxious about Evan starting school this fall, but he was really excited about it. I was praying that our first day would go well. Well, Evan marched right into school and plopped down at the markers-and-paper station while the teacher went over information for parents. When it was time for the parents to leave, Evan kissed me goodbye, and started digging through his supply bag, counting the glue sticks. Didn't even care that I left.

Photo by Zach

Maybe I'm old school or nerdy (probably both), but I like for the boys to dress up a little on the first day of school. Nothing crazy, maybe nice shorts and a golf shirt or short sleeved button down. Evan saw what I had picked our for him to wear, didn't like it, then insisted on his Albert Pujols shirt. Ok, fine, whatever. But you're wearing the button down another day, mister!

Cool, markers! Did you know you can make really colorful tattoos

on your arms with these things while Mom's doing laundry?

Look, Mom, I colored an apple tree!

After school, we met Craig for lunch at McDonald's.

Evan's done great at school. When we pass his preschool in the car, he says "There's my school! I love school!" then he blows kisses to it. Please, please, please let this continue for the next 14 years!

No comments: