Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Night on the Town

Friday night, I celebrated 11 years of monthly (well, almost monthly, anyway) dinners, which we call Supper Club, and even more years of friendship with five girlfriends. Even though two of the six now live out of state, and everyone's schedules are more jam packed than ever, Christmas Supper Club is kind of sacred. None of us would miss it. In fact, Jeannie joined us one year just a week (!) after giving birth to her daughter, my God daughter. And Wendy's been driving five hours for six years. Wow, has it really been that long since she moved?

This year, we started the evening at Zing Restaurant and Bar for martinis.


Then we headed over to the Madame Walker Theatre for the Indianapolis Ballet Conservatory's production of The Nutcracker. It was a beautiful production put on by students and professional dancers. The dancers were unbelievable, such talent at such young ages. And the costumes, oh my!


Following The Nutcracker, we headed over to the Capital Grille for a delicious dinner. Our waiter, Harry, used to be a ballet dancer, and was the nicest man. He made a great evening even better. If you're ever dining at the Capital Grille, ask for Harry.



Dinner was fabulous, and we were so full, we couldn't even order dessert. Finally, it was time for the gift exchange. Supper Club gifts may or may not be the gifts I look forward to the most. I mean, I love any gift, but there's something extra special about Supper Club gifts. They're thoughtful things that we'd never buy for ourselves presented in pretty packages or cute containers that make us feel loved. Cheesy, maybe, but its true. As adults, how rare is it to get gifts that make us feel so special? We're like a bunch of kids on Christmas morning. To top it off, Harry surprised us with champagne during our gift exchange. Harry, you rock!

We really outdid ourselves again this year. What wonderful gifts! When I got in bed that night, I really wanted to get my gifts, spread them out, and just look at them. Then I wanted to put them to use, painting my toenails Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous while eating homemade Kiss cookies and Godiva chocolates, wearing moisturizing gloves and a hand-knitted cravat, and enjoying the holiday scent of my new Wallflower.

The joy of the gifts is in the giving, too. I especially enjoy coming up with gifts ideas for the girls, shopping, making a few things, and then wrapping everything. I savor it. Really. In a season of hustle and bustle, I slow down and truly enjoy shopping and wrapping for Supper Club. I often pick up little things throughout the year and stash them away, or at least jot down ideas. I enjoy thinking about each of them and picking out things I think they'll like, that will convey my love for them. Again, cheesy, but its true!

Thank you Jeannie, Kendy, Steph, Vickie, and Wendy for years of friendship, girls' weekends, countless dinners, and, of course, the best. Christmas. gifts. ever.

We didn't get a pic on Friday night, but here's one from our September trip to St. Louis.

No comments: