Monday, March 2, 2009

Where does the time go?

February just flew by! Craig and I celebrated our 10th anniversary early with a trip to the beautiful Playa Ocotal, Costa Rica. We rented a large house with seven other couples, and it was the best vacation ever. The house, Villa Cascada, sits on a hill above the Pacific Ocean, and it has a pool, two hot tubs, and a great deck with views of the ocean. The house included a cook, bartender/host, and housekeeper who were so nice and took care of everything for us. They provided three delicious meals, a 3:00 PM snack, and tropical drinks each day. The weather was sunny, breezy and in the low 90's every day, with hardly a cloud in the sky and no rain. The breeze kept it from feeling too hot, even though we were only 10 degrees north of the equator.

Home sweet home

Sailing back to our villa from a secluded beach

Playing water volleyball...too bad the pic uploaded so small

We spent our week in Costa Rica lounging by our pool, checking out the beach that was a mere 5 minute walk from our house, and going on a couple of excursions. Craig went deep sea fishing and caught a huge dorado (Mahi Mahi). Two other guys also caught Mahi Mahi , so we had very fresh fish for dinner that night, followed by ceviche for our 3PM snack the next day.

Craig and his "el dorado" (mahi mahi)

We visited the Tezate Wellness Center, which has hot springs, gourmet, organic food all grown/raised on site, horseback riding and zip lining. I really thought I'd get to the first line after a 45 minute horseback ride, chicken out, and ride the horse all the way back down to the spa. I was completely terrified-- I don't like heights. Our friends really cheered me on, and once I did the first line, I was hooked. I was able to look down at the scenery and enjoy flying through the trees on the 10 lines. Without the support of our friends, I never would have done it -- but would have regretted not doing it. Thanks for giving me the courage guys! You're the best!


Zip lining
This pic doesn't show how high we really were - about 200 meters in some places.

We spent our last full day in Costa Rica on a sail boat and at a secluded beach. We had a terrific BBQ lunch of grilled shish kabobs, plantains, and salads, played football on the beach, and checked out the caves and rocky shoreline.

The Sweet Sixteen...our last full day in Costa Rica

Talking by the hot tub, night #2

We were completely spoiled by the end of the week. The staff at the Villa were amazing and made the stay so relaxing and fun. And I can't say enough about our friends -- they made the trip! No one couple knew all of the other seven couples before the trip, but we all clicked. By the second day, it was like we'd known each other forever and had a blast together.

We'd never rented a house with a staff before, but let me tell you, its the way to vacation. It worked great for a group of adults, but it would also work for a group of families with kids. Our boys are probably still a little young, but in a couple of years, I'd love to take the kids. It was by far the most relaxing, "unplugged" vacation we've been on.

Oh, I got so wrapped up in vacation memories that I almost forgot to mention the boys: they did great with Auntie "Kay" and Grandpa, then Grandmas Carol and Kathy while we were gone. I'm not sure they really missed us all that much. I'm glad they had a good week and weren't miserable, but couldn't they have missed us just a little?! We certainly missed them. Since they did just fine without us for a week, I guess this means we can take a kid-free vacation every year!
THANK YOU Auntie "Kay", Grandpa, Grandma Carol, and Grandma Kathy for taking care of the boys for a week. We really appreciate it!

2 comments:

Jen said...

It looks like you had an amazing time! We are leaving for Mexico in a few weeks to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela and Craig!
What a wonderful vacation you had!
I had a great time reading about it! You both deserved to be spoiled and to have so much fun!
I'm so proud of you for "zipping" Angela! You are braver than I would be! Glad the boys enjoyed this little vacation too! It gave them time to be with family alone. That is always good!
Hope you get to do this again!
Aunt Vicki